When you’re in a long distance relationship, there are times when one of the partners can feel hopeless about the odds that relationship has at surviving, or times when the longing can just feel like too much. It’s true that there are some long distance relationships that don’t make it, mostly because they crumble under the weight of the distance. But it’s just as true that there are plenty of regular relationships that end under the pressure of other factors as well, so simply the fact that your relationship is long distance doesn’t mean that it’s bound to fail. Even more, the positive side of things is that all that longing is probably making your connection into one of the most romantic times of your lives, so cherish this time apart even if you keep working to find a more permanent solution to be closer.
But there are indeed some times when it gets hard on either one of you, for a variety of reasons: one of you might be in the military so in the other one is worried about danger in addition to the distance, or you may fear the constant pressure will make things much too short, and so on. Whenever you feel the pangs of fear, doubt or discouragement, keep this list of 10 lovely long distance relationship quotes close by – it might come in handy for a kick of renewed hope. When you feel your partner about to get more distant and hopeless, send them one of these: it will serve its purpose of renewing hope and it will count as a cute gesture as well. For a few great movies and songs about long distance relationships, read this.
1. “Nobody ever seems to understand / We’re miles apart but we’re holding hands” (Zach Ashton)
Let’s start our list with a slightly corny pop song lyric; no matter how corny it is, I couldn’t describe it better.
2. “Our lives were now worlds apart, separated by time, circumstance, and the unbridgeable chasm of money” (Travis Luedke)
This quote reminds us all that managing a long distance relationship often brings us a bit more down to earth than we’d rather be. If you don’t see it as necessarily sad, you can see it as sweet and funny: just send it to your boyfriend or girlfriend whenever you’re discussing plane tickets and share a laugh about it.
3. “You’re too far for my hands to hold you, but too near for my heart to love you” (Heraline)
The perfect thing to send to him or her when the pangs of longing take over.
4. The whole “Perfect Glass” book by Laura Andersen Kurk
Ok, so maybe this isn’t really a cute love quote to send to your partner in order to encourage them, but it’s just an useful read to remind you that even in the darkest hour when you question the fidelity of your partner and the very point of continuing with it, you are not alone. The feelings you have are very common when in a long distance relationship, and if you can take a step back and see the bigger picture, you might make it. Here’s a beautiful excerpt from the book, for example:
“And what do you want?
I almost choked. “How could you even ask me that, Henry?”
He sighed. “Because I’m thousands of miles away. Because I Skyped into your living room late one night and there’s a dude sitting next to you in the dark. Because Thanet tells me things. And Tennyson sent me a picture of you in a dress that looks like lingerie.”
“It’s not that bad”, I said.
“I didn’t say it was bad, Meg. It’s about a million miles from bad.” His voice was breaking with exasperation. “Things are crazy here, and I’m questioning everything.”
5. “Distance means separation in place but never in connections. Heart remains inseparable.” (DhelChen)
Anyone who has ever experienced a long distance relationship knows that it’s not the distance that kills it, but the hearts in it growing cold from factors that would be present even if the distance was out of the equation.
6. “I found that I missed him the more he was absent from my life, and the more I missed him the more I loved him” (Donna Lynn Hope, Willow)
This is another example of a book that seems to be an endless source of long distance relationship quotes. For more inspiration or just for helping you understand this type of relationship better, try reading the book in its entirety.
7. “This may be the last time I see you, but if you keep me in your heart, together we shall be eternal; if you believe, we shall never part.” (Ben Harper)
As corny as it may sound, it’s the truth ladies and gentlemen, and this faith in the positive outcome of the relationship is what makes all the difference between those who make it and those who don’t.
8. “I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye that was the trouble; I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there’s a lot of difference.” (Ernest Hemingway)
This is one of the best long distance relationship quotes ever, and it’s also very good to describe the sudden desire of making a fleeting connection become something permanent.
9. “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again” (Charles Dickens)
This may just be the perfect thing to say when you’re kissing each other goodbye at the airport or the train station.
10. “It’s been a year and 3 months since we kissed, and I rather have the ghost of his mouth on my lips rather than kiss anyone else” (Alishah Khan)
Ok, so maybe it isn’t really a very hopeful quote since it hints at an ended relationship, but it’s still very evocative about the feeling of not wanting someone present because you’d rather long for someone absent. This earned it a place in the list of the best long distance relationship quotes we’ve ever come across.